Skip to main content

Challenge 6

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

I really enjoyed this one – a great challenge! Starting to test the limits of my approach of only using MS Excel to help me solve the challenges!

The reference to Norsk Hydro in 6A didn’t help me too much – too many permutations of SK and KH to cycle through! My main breakthrough actually came when I factorised the total number of characters in the ciphertext into its prime divisors – clearly this won’t always work, but it did in this case!

I know it’s not needed, but is the keyword “[… Harry]” by any chance?

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

[A nice set of hints here from icybee. Harry]

When decrypting transposition ciphers, it’s a good idea to factor in the length of the message (sometimes).

Also watch out for German words in inconvenient places. Maybe look for recognisable phrases lower down!

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

Can we have the first word? Of B that is.

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

😤🤯

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

If Harry wants to let this through at any point, maybe tomorrow when it is the last day? You are likely to be unable to guess the first word. However, if you have the correct block length then if you look at the 4th block it may make it a bit easier as this word is slightly nicer

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

hello harry
    my team and i have just managed to solve 6 A but is there going to be a clue for 6B

[6A tells you what to expect in 6B (and there are some hints here on the forum too!. Good luck, Harry]

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

Sorry Harry ,
    We just solved it now!!!

[Well done! Harry]

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

A big thank you to @Puttputt86 and @Icybee for their extremely helpful hints! I finally cracked it, though I was worried I wouldn’t get it as I had been unable to solve 5B.

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

I do not get the hints by @puttputt86 and @icybee because already 5 days back I was thinking block lengths of 5 or 179 and none of that helps me. So, I have made zero progress in 5 days while my brain continues to send steams out.

Harry
    Keymaster

BIG HINT! Are you thinking about rows or columns? Check out the BOSS Cryptographic Handbook for more help! Harry

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

@18goyaan Are you sure you have FACTORED in the message length correctly?

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

Yeah, 895 = 5 * 179. I will lose my mind after this. I was the one opposed to any hints until Challenge 6 and now I cannot even make a start despite a million hints.

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

Sorry @18goyaan that was my mistake as I was still thinking of an older one, definitely follow Harry’s hint about rows or columns

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

Oh gosh! So you are giving me false hints? Firstly, Harry says its 5A for 6B and then changes to 6A after I have stared at 5A for hours. Then someone says I need to factor but then says it was a mistake. Spy world is very cruel.

Harry
    Keymaster

Factoring does help! Harry

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.