Skip to main content

Bugs

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

Yes, I saw earlier!
    (Oh and by the way, is this rule that you can only post with at least 5 minutes between each post – discovered by me! – just not to put stress on the servers? Just curious.)

[We do have something like that in place, yes. Also prevents attempts to harvest a lot of feedback in a brute force style attack. Harry]

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

There is no first on the Overall Leaderboard B? Is this just a side effect of how it will have an overall winner but obviously no-one fills that slot yet?

[Yes, it is a bit misleading I grant you, but the overall winners will appear in the section above at the end of the competition. Harry]

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

I don’t know if this is changeable now, but in the Cryptanalyst’s handbook, the affine cipher part switches between 0-based and 1-based, as c (2) is mapped to L (11) but then i (8) is mapped to C (3) – bringing this up because I don’t have a solid grasp on how the affine cipher works yet…

[Thanks, we missed that one. Apologies for the error. Will get it fixed for the next edition. Harry]

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

Thanks, it’s all good and I have a lot of respect for the affine cipher now, the way it works is pretty awesome

[You have now dipped a toe into the wonderful world of number theory. A lot of modern ciphers are based on the beautiful ideas in it and we explore that in our first year module Number Theory and Cryptography. Hope you decide to take it further, I think you would enjoy it. Harry]

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

The main forum page isn’t updating correctly. It currently shows the ‘Challenge 9’ topic as having only four pages, with the most recent post being post 48722 two days ago, by Madness. This error is also repeated at the top of the topic page, where it says “This topic has 57 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by Madness.”
    It looks like the system that generates the links and summaries is excluding many of the visible posts for some reason.

[Thanks for the heads up. Will ask the team to take a look. Harry]

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

At the main BOSS forum page (https://2020se.cipherchallenge.org/forums/forum/boss/), it could say something like ’45’ under the posts column (for, let’s say, topic ‘ABC’). However, topic ‘ABC’ might actually have something like 57 posts in it! I wanted to bring this up because it messes up the page count slightly when the number of posts is near a multiple of 15…

…and it is also a bit annoying for people like me!

[It has annoyed several of you, and it annoys me too. Not sure why it is happening, but hopefully we can fix it for September! Thanks to all who reported this. Harry]

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

Links to some pages in the forum are not appearing. Over here, for example, we see on the main forum page that Challenge 9 has 4 pages, but really it has 6.

Inactive

This issue seems to be happening again with some threads (but not others) – for example, updates to the GCHQ Puzzle Challenge and ELITE crackers only threads don’t appear on the main page (but are there when you go into the thread). Threads like King of the Castle and Puzzles by Competitors seem to be OK though.

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.