Skip to main content

Challenge 7

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

I have tried and think that I’ve done the first part of it however I can’t find a way to finish it off. Will there be any hints before the first deadline?

[Post again with more details of what you have done, and I will see if there is something useful I can say. We don’t usually give hints before the first deadline though. Harry]

Inactive

[OK, read that. I can’t say much, but you are on the right track, and it should just take some concentrated effort! Harry]

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

Yes! Finally got it. Surprisingly, 7B was easier than I’d thought it to be. Initially had some confusion but figured it out eventually.

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

If anybody needs some cribs for 7A then this case file image may be quite useful: https://2020se.cipherchallenge.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/hs2-185-enlarge.jpg

Inactive

Harry I am stuck on part B I have worked out that it is [Edited by Harry] but cant work out the [Edited by Harry] part. Could you give a clue as to what type of [Edited by Harry] it is?

[I am afraid I can’t, but you are doing well! Keep going. Harry]

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

I wonder if the final sentence of 7A is some kind of clue, but how???

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

Why is everyone talking about the final sentence of 7A? it reads: ‘I leave it to you to decipher.’ I don’t see anything wrong with that or how that could be used as a clue. Harry please help!

[I think they mean the penultimate sentence! Harry]

Inactive

Harry, please could you explain how two different ciphers could be used in combination?

[Sure: To make it harder to break the message you first encode it with one cipher, then encode the result with a different one. If you did that using two Caesar shift ciphers you would end up with the same thing as a single Casesar shift (shift by 3, then shift by 4 is the same as shift by 7) so that is no good. Enciphering twice with a keyword cipher is also the same thing as a single encryption, though usually by a rather complicated keyword. Using a transposition cipher and then another one would also just be the same as using a single transposition cipher. BUT, if you combine some form of substitution with some form of anagramming, you get something nastier! Good, huh? Harry]

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

Help please!

Inactive

Amazing puzzle Harry really enjoyed doing 7A, however after deciphering the […] cipher on 7B to get an expected monogram frequency, the next cipher to decipher is unwilling to produce anything readable. I have a feeling I’m going on the complete wrong track.

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

Can we have a hint?

Inactive

Yes, please may we have a hint, Harry?

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

I cannot believe this. Even I who wrecked her brain for 6 days on 6B, could do 7B in less than 10 minutes, the biggest hint is that 7B (and 7A) are rather easy for Challenge 7.

Inactive

@Madness Ha! Another leader whose name was spelt incorrectly! Maybe we should address our glorious keymaster as “Hrarny” from now on?

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

Harry, it has been past the first deadline so an easy-to-understand direct hint for 7B would be much appreciated!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.