Skip to main content

Challenge 7

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

You can do it @galaxywolf! I didn’t get my challenge 6 solution in until Tuesday last week. There is still time!!

If you’ve got the Caesar shift applied (so the frequency counter shows your interim plaintext as being in line with standard English), look for certain key words (such as the title of challenge 7B) jumbled up in the opening line! Would it help if I told you there were exactly 5,040 permutations (what does that tell you about the length of the keyword)?

Inactive

@Galaxywolf and all others needing to know.

You will not be able to solve the transposition unless you have the correct ciphertext.
    To get it you need the orginal ciphertext to be decrypted with the correct Caesar shift.
    How do we know which is the right shift?
    Simply test each shifted decrypt with the frequency utility.
    The right one will be the one that best fits to English (all bars are almost equal side by side)
    For the transposition, ha, you will be in seventh heaven when you solve it!

I will post a slightly cryptic but direct hint.
    But when Harry will put it up I do not know.

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

@puttputt86 @the-letter-wriggler that will be where I went wrong, I’ve been trying to solve the transposition first

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

I am trying all words of said length, but I cant find the correct answer!
    Is gunnerside written in the first few words? Something that looks like it keeps appearing!

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

I have now got the key number but how do I apply this to the interim text without doing every one by hand

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

@bobobobobobofrog It helps to put it into a table, Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets are good because they let you rearrange the columns 🙂

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

Help! I’m almost there, but get an odd ending to the answer ‘at the scen-topr’. The rest of the answer looks fine, so I don’t know what happened to the end and I can’t submit it!

[Have you translated the entire text? If you miss a bit somewhere there might not be the right number of letters for the decrypt. Harry]

Inactive

@Field_agents It looks like part of your ciphertext has got cut off – there should be another ~400 letters that you need to decrypt. Also, the “-” in “at the scen-topr” should be a letter?

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

many thanks for all the hints – I got there in the end!

Inactive

My cryptic hint.
    =================
    the key is before your very eyes if you:
    Do A Good Easy Calculation – Beat Failure

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

OK, so the key is 7 letters long and the shift is 16, what else?

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

Am I right so far?

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

Guys?

10degrees-admin
    Keymaster

@the-letter-wriggler what does that mean?

Inactive

@Galaxywolf Carefully read my #48359 post.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.